Wednesday 5 August 2015

Making Magic - Anything But Cute challenge #4

Hello, my friends! I am here today to announce that our challenge #4 has just started at Anything But Cute mixed media challenge blog!
Our wonderful Georgie has chosen the challenge theme 'Making Magic'!

Most of us are drawn to the magic of fairy tales and fantasy. The colours are often hypnotic and your mind is free to explore outside the limits of reality. For this challenge, Georgie would like you to create a magical mixed media project strongly inspired by the moodboard. Be inspired by the theme, the colours, the textures or all three. Lets bring a little magic back! 

Click on the mood board bellow and check out more about our August challenge!



Inspired by this amazing mood board and Finnabair's art I decided to create a mixed media magical themed canvas. I started with my Liquitex light modelling paste and Tim's swirl stencil which is one of my favorites. To add more dimension  I used wooden pieces (usually comes with canvas) and I attached them in layers to my corners. I saw this idea at Marta Lapkowska. Thank you, Marta! 


After applying a coat of gesso I used my Liquitex Resin Sand texture paste on my wooden pieces randomly.


Here is the fun part - spraying. I used a tone of different sprays from distress stain sprays to glimmer mists to achieve this:


This is the final result:


Here are some close ups. As you can see I added some golden gems here and there.


The center piece of my creation is a small canvas I created inspired by Finnabair. I used black gesso, lots of acrylic paints, some antiquing pastes and my metal embellishments. The wooden butterfly was painted with some metallic paints and I added gems to embellish it.


More closer looks displaying textures and colours.




I accented a part of my canvas by adding gold mica flakes paste. I love that shimmery look behind my little canvas.


I hope this will inspire you to join us for Georgie's current challenge 'Making Magic'.

At Anything But Cute we just love to see all the seasoned and expert mixed media artists, but we also want to encourage those who are just getting their feet wet. Our design team will always be on the lookout for these exceptional projects and artists. You just never know when we might be giving out something special to a talented mixed media newcomer. We all have to start somewhere, right?

Challenge runs until September 4th - we can't wait to see what you come up with! 

Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving a sweet comment! It means much to me!
Happy crafting!













39 comments:

  1. Holy crumbdiddle Branka, you never cease to blow my mind! This is just breathtaking, you have really nailed the colours and textures from the mood board, and holy glitter and glamour!! Everything is so shimmery and magical, I really want to touch it!! I love the little layered pieces of wood and the frame you used to showcase your butterfly is just brilliant!! LOVE LOVE LOVE!! hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you soooo much, my friend! You are such a sweetheart!
      Hugs to you, my lovely! xxx

      Delete
  2. This is stunning Branka!!! All the texture and that gorgeous little famed butterfly is such a perfect touch to this work of art!! Love it my friend!! I wish I could make stuff like this!!
    Hugs to you my dear!!

    Samra
    Paper Talk with Samra

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, my lovely, for such a great support and kind words!
      A massive hug to you! xxx

      Delete
  3. Wow, Branka! You've totally made my day with your brilliant magical canvas! This is like artwork on top of artwork! Your magical, shimmery background has me drooling, and I will echo what Samra said: I wish I could make art like this! I'm just blown away by that shimmery light you have achieved using the mica paste-truly magnificent magic made here with this lovely, inspiring canvas! Bravo on another one of my favorite Branka artwork pieces! You rock! Big hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thank you so very much, my dear Sara! You made my day! Have a great day, my friend! Huge hugs! xxx

      Delete
  4. Yep... Magic is about right to describe that amazing canvas. That resin sand texture paste needs to go on my shopping list! Thank you SO much for sharing such a detailed version of your process. Gorgeous, gorgeous work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thank you so very much, Becca, for such sweet comment! Hugs! xxx

      Delete
  5. Hi Branka! Wow, this is just pure gorgeousness on a canvas!! I love the swirly background, and the colour! Also adore the yummy layers of texture and that scummy glitter, it is just SO captivating and magical. Thank you for taking the time to do something so perfectly gorgeous from the moodboard xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thanks sooooo much, hun! Your moodboard is fantastic and so inspirational! I had a lot of fun creating this! xxx

      Delete
  6. Branka this is beautiful! Loved the corners and the central focus, its great. I really love everything you do! Cxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving such a sweet comment! xxx

      Delete
  7. Holy moly ! I adore your piece ! Wow and the little wooden bits :) so happy to see the being used so great. Oh you made an amazing creation. Wonderful, Marta xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, Marta, I am really happy to see you here! Thank you so very much for visiting my blog and leaving a sweet comment! I was sooooo inspired by your art work! You put a BIG smile on my face! Branka xxx

      Delete
  8. Lovely job really like the colours and how you added the wood bits

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stunning project and great to see your ongoing photos of how this came together.
    Julie x

    ReplyDelete
  10. love love love this... you nailed the mood board.... I love the texture your wood pieces added to the canvas... Isn't it wonderful to take something as simple as those chunks and they breathe beauty into a piece. Stunning job ! Thank you for creating with us at Rhedds Creative Spirit

    ReplyDelete
  11. Genius use of this little pieces of wood dear Branka! I don't ever use those to stretch my canvas and have amassed loads of em, now I know what to do with it! Hehe! This is stupendously scrumptious with so many lovely textures. The stencil picks up the colors beautifully as well. That central mini canvas is gorgeous! So much to take in, I need to stop holding my breathe in excitement or I'll pass out. Lol! Hugz to you muffin! ~Niki

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous project Branka! Love all the shimmery detail and texture! So magical and creative! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous canvas. Such lovely texture. Thank you for entering your project at Rhedd’s Creative Spirit. Sammy-x

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is so very pretty! Love how you give the pics for each stage it helps me so! Thanks for sharing with us at Rhedd's Creative Spirit this month! Nanette, DT

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are making magic indeed! This is gorgeous Branka! You are so creative! Thank you for sharing it with us at SnP!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful! The way the colors swirl is really magical. I loved seeing how you built everything up. The nook with the butterfly is sweet. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wowser! Real magic! Those shimmery textures and your beautiful butterfly make this a really special project! Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love all the details and the fantastic texture you created on this project. It is totally delightful and then of course there is the butterfly...doubly delish! Thank you Again for joining in at Rhedd's Creative Spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your background work is stunning with all its detail and textures! Thank you for joining the Mixed Media Place challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Fabulous use of those spare wooden bits from canvas and just love what you have achieved with this canvas.Thank you for sharing with us over at Altered Eclectics this month and hope to see you again in future challenges.

    Handcrafted by Ellapu
    Mother Hen for Altered Eclectics
    Mother Hen for Eclectic Ellapu
    DT Rhedd's Creative Spirit
    DT The Mirror Crack'd
    DT Anything but a Card

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh my .... this is amazing !! Great piece of art for sure !! Thank you for joining us at SnP this month !!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow Branka - I don't know how I missed commenting on your INCREDIBLE project but it is just FABULOUS - wow. SPELLBINDINGLY BEAUTIFUL. j.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Really stunning piece! Loving the textures here! Thank you for joining in the fun at Mixed Media Place this month!

    ReplyDelete

  24. Oh my gosh I am almost at a loss for words, this is astounding and you have really opened my eyes to many possibilities! Thanks for you truly amazing transpiration. Beth aka BR-T

    ReplyDelete
  25. oh wow look at all the wonderful texture, this is so beautiful,thanks for joining us at That Craft Place hugs, kay

    ReplyDelete
  26. Very artistic, grungy and bold!! Wow what a texture ! I totally love it! Thanks for joining us at SNP!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Love the textures! Thank you for playing with us at Scraps n Pieces!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Love your project, Branka! Gorgeous details (those flourishes are magnificent!).....and your colors are fab also! xx Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  29. What a creative, imaginative and fabulous project. Thank you for explaining the process for newbies, like me to learn from and for me to aspire too x Thank you so much for the inspiration. Just love it!

    ReplyDelete
  30. What a wonderful canvas - love the wood in the corners and your beautiful butterfly box in the center with the sweet charms! Julia xx

    ReplyDelete
  31. Glorious! I love the dark nook where the butterfly is hiding, and the woven wood pieces make such a fabulous structural statement. I really thought I'd visited all the Making Magic DT pieces - I'm so sorry to be so late with saying how fabulous this is.
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.