Sunday 5 July 2015

Anything But Cute challenge #3 - Summer Romance

Hello, my crafty friends! It's 5th of July already and our challenge #3 has just started at Anything But Cute Mixed Media Challenge Blog, today! This month our hostess is amazing Samra who has chosen the perfect theme for this time of year - 'Summer Romance'!
For this challenge, Samra would love to see projects with a romantic theme a beach/sea theme or both, BUT they must be strongly inspired by the colors of the mood board. For this challenge you MUST display our graphics badge in your post along with our blog name and challenge link.
More details about this challenge you can find at Anything But Cute Challenge Blog. Just click on the image bellow and you'll be redirected there where you can check out fabulous makes of my super talented teamies and I sure hope you'll join us in our 'Summer Romance' July challenge! 



I love everything related to summertime and sea so as soon as I saw the theme for this month challenge I knew what I was going to make - a mixed media canvas with lots of seashells (natural ones) and blue/green tones. 
I started with gesso applied with my pallete knife to get some texture. 



Then I used my sand texture paste to glue down a piece of cheese cloth along with a piece of net bag which was actually some kiwi packaging haha :) 


Since I didn't have any starfish and sea horse die, I printed out some images, cut them out and embossed them using Tim Holtz embossing folders. I applied one coat of Payne's grey acrylic paint on top of my embossed starfish.


I used my Decoart media Patina green antiquing cream on top of the dried paint.


I rubbed the antiquing cream with a piece of cloth and achieved a patina effect on my starfish.


After a lot of spraying with my blue and green distress stain sprays and my glimmer mists and after creating some texture with my crackle paste through my crackle stencil (Tim Holtz one) plus embellishing...here is what I came up with:


Here is a closer look of my crackled texture and a quote (Tim Holtz Small talk chit chat stickers). To imitate a coral reef I used my Tim Holtz's Tattered pinecone die. I also put a small metal fish charm previously treated in the same way as my starfish. I was so disappointed I couldn't find any fishing net decorations in my country, so I used some home decoration that looked like a fishing net and I attached it on top of the left side on my canvas :) 


To achieve some rust effect on my anchor charm I used black gesso, Payne's grey acrylic paint and my Quinacridone gold acrylic paint. Tim Holtz's faux cracked glass technique was used on my cork vial bottle and I put a piece of thorn paper with a message into the bottle.


I attached an old photo of a happy couple on the beach (Idealogy Found relatives) and used my Idealogy rub ons to add more details to that previously distressed photo. I coloured my handmade sea horse with several distress paints and used my Vintage photo DI on top of the raised embossed areas. Then I put a medium coat of my distress crackle paint in Clear Rock Candy. 


I created an arrangement using my real seashells and some metal embellishments coated with gesso and distress stain paints, sprays, glimmer mists and my distress stain spray in Tarnished Brass. I added some flat back pearls here and there and framed the photo with a piece of burlap string with knots. 



I hope this will inspire you to join us for Samra's current challenge 'Summer Romance'.

At Anything But Cute we just love to see all the seasoned and expert mixed media artists, but we also want to encourage those who are just getting their feet wet. Our design team will always be on the lookout for these exceptional projects and artists. You just never know when we might be giving out something special to a talented mixed media newcomer. We all have to start somewhere, right?

Challenge runs until August 4th - we can't wait to see what you come up with! 

Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving a sweet comment! It means much to me!

Happy crafting!










29 comments:

  1. Fabulous mixed media canvas, Branka! Oh, how I love that crackle background, and what a great way to achieve it! I'm so happy you gave us all your steps, because you have used so many techniques and mixed media products throughout this gorgeous piece of artwork! Your seahorse and starfish are amazing, and I love how you achieved that texture both on them and on your background! This is simply amazing, and I could gaze at it for hours! Big hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thank you so much, my lovely, for making my day!
      Huge hugs! xxx

      Delete
  2. Wow Branka, this is just incredible!! I just loved reading about your process and seeing all the steps involved! You put so much heart and soul into your work and it shows through with every little detail!! I also couldn't find any of the netting stuff, I wonder where people are getting it from?? Your little bottle with the note inside is complete inspired, I just love that! All your textures and amazing colours have really sucked me in, LOVE IT TO BITS!! hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your sweet comment made me smile! Thank you sooo very much, my dear Pamellia!
      Hugs! xxx

      Delete
  3. Stunning make Branka!!! My favorite is that message in the bottle!!! Ofcourse the rest of the design is simply mesmerizing with all the textures and such clever placement of embellishments!!! Thank you so very much for creating such a masterpiece for this challenge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I am really happy you like this, Samra! Thank you so very much, my dear! You have chosen a perfect challenge theme! Hugs! xxx

      Delete
  4. Thanks for treating us to such a gorgeous canvas and a step x step. I love all the crackle and texture in the background and how you used layers and layers of paints and sprays to achieve a unified and very beachy colour palette. The vintage image is a perfect addition to your summer romance scene.
    Hugs!
    Cec

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, dear Cec, thank you so very much, for those kind words! Happy to see you here!
      Hugs! xxx

      Delete
  5. A fabulous piece of art Branks! I love the romantic theme and the colours and embellishments you have used perfectly evoke the sea. You've included so many lovely little details . Thank you for joining us at Stamps and Stencils . Toni x

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a gorgeous, textural beach-combing canvas - it's so beautiful, Branka!
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, so many beautiful elements for a wonderful project. Thanks for joining us over at Eclectic Ellapu this month :)
    Eithne DT

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful card! Lovely crackles and shells. Thank you so much for sharing with us at Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is my third attemp to leave a comment. Blogger keeps freezing on me. So, I love what you have created here and thank you so very much for sharing the creative process as well. What I love most about this piece are the little details. The way you added the pearls And the jute around the happy couple, but you upped the ante by addig the knots. Genius dear Branks, genius! This is wowzers and stunningly terrific! Hugz to you muffin! ~Niki

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Niki, thank you soooooo much, hun! You put a big smile on my face! Hugs to you! xxx

      Delete
  10. A fabulous canvas, its a super romantic piece with so many interesting details to catch the eye. Thank you for joining us over at Stamps and Stencils this time.
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a creative and fabulous mixed media piece Branka! I love the close up you gave us of your textures starfish. Looks so cool! The colours you've laid across the shells are just magical and the pearls are an elegantly perfect touch xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your starfish is my fav part Branka - so fun and looks wonderful. Such a fun mixed media piece. Thanks bunches for sharing all the phases of your creating adventure. j.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my,this is just so gorgeous...I absolutely adore it...
    Thank you for joining us over at Rhedd's Creative Challenge this month...xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. great project , love the sheen on the shells and i do love that picture!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is spectacular! Love the shells love the beach!! And the little message in a bottle is fab! Thanks for sharing with us at Rhedd's Creative Spirit this month! ~Nanette, DT~

    ReplyDelete
  16. Jaw-droppingly gorgeous!! Thank you so much for showing your process photos because it gets my creative wheels a turnin'. So much yummy texture and I love how you used the objects you had and made them into what you wanted.

    ReplyDelete
  17. what a fun beach scene complete with hunky male!! love all the texture and the cute bottle with the message inside!

    ReplyDelete
  18. thanks for this fantastic tutorial

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love all the texture on this piece, and your paint techniques are great too! Thanks for joining us at Rhedd's Creative Spirit this month ~ Steffi :o)

    ReplyDelete
  20. LOVE this! Such a gorgeous piece, and I adore the seaside theme. Thank you for entering your project at Rhedd’s Creative Spirit. Sammy-x

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your summer canvas is gorgeous! And the tutorial is interesting, thanks for it.
    Thanks for joining us at Not Eclectic Ellapu and hope to see you again! Hugs, Kat DT
    ♥ Kakichka Blog ♥
    ♥ Kartishok - blog for ideas ♥

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beautiful design and colours. Love the theme. Thank you for joining us at altered Eclectics this month. Hope to see you back here again soon. Judy DT

    ReplyDelete
  23. Gorgeous page, Branka, have a wonderful weekend sweetie.

    Love and hugs
    Maarit

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wonderful texture and details! Apologies for my late visit but thanks for joining us at Stamps & Stencils. Julia x

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.